Skip to main content

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences.

For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences.

I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime.

Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle.

Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience.

For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way.


Lock Box

A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks. 
I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything in the Lock Box. 
Someone asked me have I ever been abused and I said don't be ridiculous, I am too strong. 
When I look back on it however, I think I might have been wrong. 

I feel safe and protected with my family. But when I venture out, I am surrounded by insecurity. 
I remember at the so called "special school" where I was intimidated and made to feel like a fool. 
Taking my wheelchair out of gear is an act of false imprisonment. 
How many other rules have been bent?

I have done you no harm, then why have your fingers left bruises on my arm?
Punishing me is against the law but I can't say anything until the perpetrator walks out the door.
I feel no respite when I am alone at night. If I say something is wrong, will you make me wait long?
I have many surgical scars but the mental abuse is what leaves the deepest scars. 

Join us together in the Together Project and help me banish my fears and those ticking clocks
So there's no more need for my Lock Box. 

Chris Van Ingen 18/12/18



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Vision for an Inclusive Australia (DRC Final Report)

 The final revised version of the Disability Royal Commission (DRC) into violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation was published on 2 November 2023.  The Royal Commission ran for four years with hundreds of people with disabilities testifying at hearings and thousands more supplying the Commission with written submissions.  The final report titled Our Vision for An Inclusive Australia  made 222 recommendations to improve laws, policies, structures, and practices to ensure a more inclusive and just society. That supports the independence of people with disabilities and their right to live a life free from violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation.  The report covers 12 volumes ranging from:  Voices of People with Disability  About the Royal Commission Nature and Extent of Violence, Abuse, and Exploitation Realising the Human Rights of People with Disability  Governing for Inclusion Inclusive Education, Employment, and Housing Enabling Autonomy an...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...