Skip to main content

International Day of People with a Disability 2019 - 'Not Me'

As another International Day of People with a Disability comes to a close I’d like to celebrate my favourite people with disabilities.

I am a huge fan of the politician Jordan Steele-John. I really admire how Jordan has served his constituents while simultaneously promoting the rights of people with disabilities. I one day hope to follow in his wheel treads but for Labor instead of the Greens.

Another person I admire is Dylan Alcott because he has broken down many barriers in the sporting world and the television world. He was the first person with a disability to win a Logie ... beating me to the punch.

I also admire all my fellow actors on the Performers with Disabilities Committee of the Media and Arts Alliance. May we all continue to work towards true representation of people with disabilities in the media.

While I think it is good to have a day celebrating people with disabilities, I look forward to the day when it is no longer necessary because my disability is not me.



Not Me

I act, I write, and I motivate.
My disability is what you see
But it is not me. 

I play music, I party, and long to be free. 
I am more than my disability
Because it is not me. 

I am a husband, a friend, and a so-called expert in sexuality.
Would it be the same if you took away my disability?
Because it is not me. 

I am a son, a brother, and an uncle.
Remember all these things when you see the disability
Because it is not me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...

Defend Our NDIS

 Defend our NDIS; people have had enough of cuts and changes to the NDIS. The Every Australian Counts campaign has organised a national day of action and events across Australia to take place on 28th of April.  I have been involved in the NDIS from the initial trial phase through to today. People may remember that I was involved in an advertising campaign spruiking the benefits to come once the scheme was up and running.  ‘You’re in charge! Yes we are, aren’t we!’ For awhile this was the truth for participants like myself. I have been very lucky and received 90 percent of what I need from NDIS.  The question is would I have received the same benefits if I was not a skilled disability advocate?  People with disabilities want the original version of the scheme that was promised without having to fight for a reasonable request. It would be a more efficient scheme if the government put the millions of dollars in legal fees into service delivery instead.  Accord...