Skip to main content

Cupid's Arrows for All

Valentine's Day is a day set aside for expressions of love and it has got me thinking if I was able to expand my love for my wife to the entire planet and everyone else did the same, then the world would be a better place.

Every recognised religion has as its core tenant 'love thy neighbour'. Something we all would do well to remember.

I have been thinking of writing this Valentine's Day blog since the end of last year and I was pleasantly surprised when Joaquin Phoenix's Oscar 2020 speech echoed my thoughts for this blog. If you haven't seen the speech yet, I highly recommend that you come back to this blog post after watching it.

I was also inspired by Garth Brooks song 'People Loving People' which has as its premise putting love first; "the enemy of everything that is evil is people loving people".

I have always had a secret obsession with cheesy romance movies and novels but now I think that it is time for me to invite Cupid's Arrow for us all.



Cupid's Arrows for All

True love is a blessing not a curse; it is time to expand it to encompass the entire universe.
"Cupid please send seven billion arrows to each newborns' heart so they love everyone from the start."

Let love pour down like a rain shower and replace all our guns with a flower.
We should hug a tree as we would a spouse and give parental love to every creature, be it a toddler or the smallest mouse. 

Love is about intimacy, love, and commitment and without it our world cannot be content.
If love is a pyramid then consummate love is at its peak; it strengthens our love rather than making it weak. 

Love does not know a border or colour; it is not defined by a rainbow or clear sky.
A heart is driven by love's beat and is pure because it has a blind eye. 

We must not let love decline so I send this reminder on the day of Valentine:
I wish that love was an automatic software install, that's why I shout "Cupid's Arrows for All!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...

Defend Our NDIS

 Defend our NDIS; people have had enough of cuts and changes to the NDIS. The Every Australian Counts campaign has organised a national day of action and events across Australia to take place on 28th of April.  I have been involved in the NDIS from the initial trial phase through to today. People may remember that I was involved in an advertising campaign spruiking the benefits to come once the scheme was up and running.  ‘You’re in charge! Yes we are, aren’t we!’ For awhile this was the truth for participants like myself. I have been very lucky and received 90 percent of what I need from NDIS.  The question is would I have received the same benefits if I was not a skilled disability advocate?  People with disabilities want the original version of the scheme that was promised without having to fight for a reasonable request. It would be a more efficient scheme if the government put the millions of dollars in legal fees into service delivery instead.  Accord...