Skip to main content

Parallel Pride (Disability Pride Month 2023)

 People with disabilities will of course be aware of International Day of People with Disabilities. What they might be less aware of is Disability Pride Month.

Although Disability Pride Month started to celebrate the signing of the Americans' with Disabilities Act it is slowly being adopted by disabled people around the world as a sign of disabled pride. 

For too long in human history having a disability has been something to be hidden away from in the community. 

Disabled Pride Month allows people with disabilities to take back our power.

Taking inspiration from the LGBTQIA+ flag, disabled pride has our own flag.

A flag designed by writer Ann Magill. The flag's design represents different types of disability by individual coloured lines sitting parallel to each other to indicate solidarity. 

The colour scheme is as follows: white represents people with invisible disabilities, red represents those of us with physical disabilities, blue represents individuals with mental illness, green represents people with sensory disabilities, and yellow or gold represents people with intellectual disabilities or cognitive impairment. 

The five colours are placed diagonally on the black background to symbolise people with disabilities cutting across boundaries and bringing creativity, hope, and light to the world. While the black background itself is in memory of people with disabilities as a result of ableist violence and also as a sign of rebellion to make sure people with disabilities are represented strong.

Throughout history flags have been used as a symbol of national pride, racial pride, and pride in diverse sexualities. Now people with disabilities have our own flag to wave as a symbol of pride. 



Parallel Pride


I fly the flag of rebellion, I will not hide;

I live my disability with pride.

I live my physical disability on the thin red line 

As I take control of this life of mine.


The red line is followed by the white

To represent disability you cannot see.

The blue represents mental health,

The disability of stealth.


The green line represents the disabilities that are sensory;

The gold symbolises intellectual disability.

The black background is in memory of comrades 

who have died for me.


The diagonal lines have cut through barriers like me and my katana.

I live my life as a man with my disability side by side;

Equal man and disability with parallel pride.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...

Defend Our NDIS

 Defend our NDIS; people have had enough of cuts and changes to the NDIS. The Every Australian Counts campaign has organised a national day of action and events across Australia to take place on 28th of April.  I have been involved in the NDIS from the initial trial phase through to today. People may remember that I was involved in an advertising campaign spruiking the benefits to come once the scheme was up and running.  ‘You’re in charge! Yes we are, aren’t we!’ For awhile this was the truth for participants like myself. I have been very lucky and received 90 percent of what I need from NDIS.  The question is would I have received the same benefits if I was not a skilled disability advocate?  People with disabilities want the original version of the scheme that was promised without having to fight for a reasonable request. It would be a more efficient scheme if the government put the millions of dollars in legal fees into service delivery instead.  Accord...