Skip to main content

A Generous Culture

Living with a disability I have seen the inherent generous culture that exists in humanity. I would not be the person I am today without it.
I recently heard someone say that bad things make the news because they shock us and are not in line with our true humanity. I completely agree with this statement.
Every age, background, sex, race and religion of people have generously dropped money into my busking basket. People from every continent on this earth have helped me in a thousand small ways in my life.
Some might say that I am naive but I am always ready to protect myself from anyone who tries to take advantage of me in any way. However, the generosity I have seen with my own eyes cannot be denied.
It is important to note that every spiritual leader and tradition throughout history has tried to teach us the generous nature that exists inside every human being.
"Whether you agree or disagree just ponder"
Chris Van Ingen

Comments

  1. Hi Chris!

    I am Georgia Walker from Clonard College that came to your talk today at St Josephs College Geelong. I would just like to say that you are an amazing person. You have an unbelievable outlook on life, despite your disability. You are a great motivational speaker and I believe others should look up to you as a fantastic role model, as I will now look up to you. Keep up the beautiful work :)
    Thanking you,
    Georgia Walker
    Clonard College Geelong
    Email: walkg@clonard.catholic.edu.au

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...

Defend Our NDIS

 Defend our NDIS; people have had enough of cuts and changes to the NDIS. The Every Australian Counts campaign has organised a national day of action and events across Australia to take place on 28th of April.  I have been involved in the NDIS from the initial trial phase through to today. People may remember that I was involved in an advertising campaign spruiking the benefits to come once the scheme was up and running.  ‘You’re in charge! Yes we are, aren’t we!’ For awhile this was the truth for participants like myself. I have been very lucky and received 90 percent of what I need from NDIS.  The question is would I have received the same benefits if I was not a skilled disability advocate?  People with disabilities want the original version of the scheme that was promised without having to fight for a reasonable request. It would be a more efficient scheme if the government put the millions of dollars in legal fees into service delivery instead.  Accord...