Skip to main content

Wheelchair of Fortune (Assistive Technology)

 From the age of three I have used an electric wheelchair. When I got my first wheelchair all I could do was go round and round in circles but now my wheelchair is my independence. 

Over the years I have had a total of five electric wheelchairs and each time the process for getting a new chair is slightly different. Before the NDIS, the amount I was allocated for a new chair depended heavily on the report writing skills of the occupational therapist. 

Each time I tried out a new range of chairs I always felt a bit uncomfortable because in my opinion I do not think that enough time for trialling new chairs is allowed. Once the selection process has been made, you then have to fit the chair to my individual needs. In years gone past this meant literally carving and sculpting the chair to my body type but in 2021 wheelchair providers prefer to use off the shelf mix and match components to supposedly cut down on costs. In my experience this means the final product is not as comfortable as my old chairs used to be. 

The power of assistive technology allows me to live my life the way I want to live it. It gives me an independent future so I thank God every day for my wheelchair of fortune. 




Wheelchair of Fortune


All my life I have dreamed of being free, just taking off in a hot air balloon;

This is not a possibility for me, I have to be more down to earth and rely on my wheelchair of fortune. 

People see my wheelchair as a trap but to me it is a way out of the doom and gloom, a stroke of good fortune. 

A new wheelchair for me is like spinning top dollar; it gives me power that cannot be understood by the worldliest scholar.


Every time I sit in my chair I know the wheel of fortune is spinning my way;

But the government grip on the purse strings makes me fear the dreaded black bankrupt display. 

I often think of what my future has in store; without my wheelchair I know I will never fulfil what the fortune teller saw.

My wheelchair literally gives me the drive to go for the free spin and achieve everything I have hidden within. 


I am not going to lie, my relationship with my wheelchair at times has been love hate and I have cursed fortune's fate. 

So my wheelchair has seen me over the bumpy road even when I was in self denial mode.

Some people see Wheel of Fortune as a game but without assistive technology my life would never be the same.

Every time I leave my darkened room I know my future is assured because of my wheelchair of fortune.


©️ Chris Van Ingen | 11 March 2021


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defend Our NDIS

 Defend our NDIS; people have had enough of cuts and changes to the NDIS. The Every Australian Counts campaign has organised a national day of action and events across Australia to take place on 28th of April.  I have been involved in the NDIS from the initial trial phase through to today. People may remember that I was involved in an advertising campaign spruiking the benefits to come once the scheme was up and running.  ‘You’re in charge! Yes we are, aren’t we!’ For awhile this was the truth for participants like myself. I have been very lucky and received 90 percent of what I need from NDIS.  The question is would I have received the same benefits if I was not a skilled disability advocate?  People with disabilities want the original version of the scheme that was promised without having to fight for a reasonable request. It would be a more efficient scheme if the government put the millions of dollars in legal fees into service delivery instead.  According to the Australian Service

A Vision for an Inclusive Australia (DRC Final Report)

 The final revised version of the Disability Royal Commission (DRC) into violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation was published on 2 November 2023.  The Royal Commission ran for four years with hundreds of people with disabilities testifying at hearings and thousands more supplying the Commission with written submissions.  The final report titled Our Vision for An Inclusive Australia  made 222 recommendations to improve laws, policies, structures, and practices to ensure a more inclusive and just society. That supports the independence of people with disabilities and their right to live a life free from violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation.  The report covers 12 volumes ranging from:  Voices of People with Disability  About the Royal Commission Nature and Extent of Violence, Abuse, and Exploitation Realising the Human Rights of People with Disability  Governing for Inclusion Inclusive Education, Employment, and Housing Enabling Autonomy and Access Criminal Justice and People wi

United in Action (International Day of People with Disability 2023)

 International Day of People with Disability is here again. It is a day to celebrate the achievements of people with disabilities while at the same time reminding the world that people with disabilities need access to equality.  This year's UN theme is United in Action to rescue and achieve the sustainable development goals for, with, and by people with disability.  Around this time every year I am blown away by the giants in the world who live with a disability and I am using today's post to highlight just a few.  First let me tell you about Natalie Wade, a passionate lawyer who works in the area of disability rights law. Natalie is also the coauthor of Disability Rights in Real Life Handbook  as well as being the inaugural orator for the Disability Leadership Oration . This will air at 5pm AEDT on ABC TV and ABC iview on the 3 December 2023.  The next person I wish to highlight today is Elly Desmarchelier, a brilliant disability advocate, writer, and national spokesperson for