Skip to main content

Heaven, Earth, and the Alchemist

 Every Lent and Easter period I rededicate and affirm my Catholic faith. 

This year during my period of reflection a strange amalgamation occurred which I hope will not seem as blasphemous if I can explain it properly. 

Some truths were revealed to me through the simplicity of the Lord's Prayer and Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist. 

I, through baptism and profession of the Creed, am a follower of Christ. 

I know it is my mission to become like Christ, to be granted admission into heaven. Part of my role as a Catholic is to create a better world on Earth until I meet God in Heaven. 

This Lent and Easter period I have had the thought that the world would be a better place if everyone followed the Lord's Prayer.

“Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven.”

There was a time in world history where eighty to ninety percent of the population professed to be followers of Christ. Now that number is at thirty percent and dropping in the Western world. 

I ask you is it a coincidence that in that time treatment for anxiety and depression has increased? 

To me it is no coincidence that without the belief in God and the comfort and peace that used to provide would lead to an increase in anxiety and depression.

I believe it is human nature to do what is good and in line with God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. 

For half my life I have called myself a devout Catholic but after listening to the Catholic Saints podcast, in particular the episode about St Perpetua and St Felicity, I know I have a long way to go in my devotion to Christ and I pray, should it ever be God's will, that I have the same amazing courage of those two women. 

While going through my Lenten journey I also reread Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist and I couldn’t help noticing the parallels between faith in God and the soul of the world and a pilgrim's journey with a person's personal legend. 

God has given each one of us unique gifts to fulfil a purpose that only He is aware of. 

Do not be afraid to follow what God has written on your heart. 



Heaven and the Alchemist


Do not be fooled by the goal of the alchemist;

Heaven cannot be reached by checking off God's list.

Let love open up an angry fist.

The Holy Spirit is as gentle as a surrounding mist.


I profess to be a follower of Christ but the pain my disability gives me 

Doesn't come close to what He sacrificed.

My life I give to God so it is no longer mine to barter.

As I listen to the stories of the saints, I pray I would have the courage of a martyr. 


Easter brings new joy which is not something to be thrown away like an abandoned toy.

Lent is a time that God reinvites us into His tent.

Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done.

If we stick to this, the world can live as one.


Chris Van Ingen | 12 April 2023



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...

A Vision for an Inclusive Australia (DRC Final Report)

 The final revised version of the Disability Royal Commission (DRC) into violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation was published on 2 November 2023.  The Royal Commission ran for four years with hundreds of people with disabilities testifying at hearings and thousands more supplying the Commission with written submissions.  The final report titled Our Vision for An Inclusive Australia  made 222 recommendations to improve laws, policies, structures, and practices to ensure a more inclusive and just society. That supports the independence of people with disabilities and their right to live a life free from violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation.  The report covers 12 volumes ranging from:  Voices of People with Disability  About the Royal Commission Nature and Extent of Violence, Abuse, and Exploitation Realising the Human Rights of People with Disability  Governing for Inclusion Inclusive Education, Employment, and Housing Enabling Autonomy an...