Skip to main content

Sex Ally to Health

As people transition through the milestones of life, sexuality shifts and flows with them and it is important to allied health professionals and other support workers to include sexuality in their discussions with their clients as part of the kaleidoscope of life. 

My sexual journey, or beginning of my sexuality, reached its first milestone when I was thirteen. The only problem was that the sex education I received at the time didn’t take into account my disability and how that might impact my sexuality. 

What I needed at the time was not so much practical support to engage in sexual activity but verbal and emotional support where I could safely talk about my experiences and what the support could look like in the future. 

As I got older my desire to safely express my sexuality grew but unfortunately the support and knowledge around sexuality did not grow with me. For example, I engaged both a psychologist and occupational therapist to help me come up with strategies to engage in intimate activity but neither the psychologist or occupational therapist were able to come up with suitable options such as accessible sex toys. My occupational therapist and I did unsuccessfully make a hand splint to assist with masturbation. 

At having my first sexual experience at the age of nineteen I discovered that my physical limitations did not present the way I expected and I must work on ways to keep myself relaxed so my grip and touch will function the way I need it to during intimacy. 

I also discovered that spontaneity can be difficult due to the fact I require a lot of accessible equipment such as hoists, slings, and adjustable beds. 

Seventeen years ago I was fortunate enough to meet and marry the love of my life and my sexuality, needs, and journey evolved once more. 

The priority became not just the physical act of intercourse but physical expressions of love in all forms. Ways we can share a kiss, hold hands, and give my wife a back massage. 

This new intimacy also included simple things like how I wear clothes that make me feel attractive or drink champagne on a romantic date.

Sex and sexuality is a basic human need so people with disabilities express heir sexuality in every way humans do. According to OT After Dark podcast, some people with disabilities even participate in the BDSM  lifestyle because it gives them a sense of control that they don’t have in their everyday life. 

So I would encourage occupational therapists and other allied health professionals to think deeply and act proactively to help everyone experience life’s Kaleidoscope of intimacy.



Intimate Kaleidoscope


I unfold the love letter from the scented envelope;

This begins my vision into the intimate kaleidoscope.

Disability and sex have often been victims of segregation;

I never saw diagrams of myself in sex education.


Sex to me is freedom from pain and is as beautiful as the summer weather;

This is why I have made myself a professor of the principles of pleasure.

I am a gypsy travelling this sexuality land;

A place where it doesn’t matter if I can walk or stand.


I look through a crystal ball that is the beautiful eyes of my wife

And see the future of an eternal sex life.

Touch and pleasure are more than sex, love, and goop;

They help me escape my physical limitations and anxiety's infinite loop.


Just when I think I can no longer cope

I dive into the colours of life’s intimate kaleidoscope.


Chris Van Ingen | 25 September 2023


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...

A Vision for an Inclusive Australia (DRC Final Report)

 The final revised version of the Disability Royal Commission (DRC) into violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation was published on 2 November 2023.  The Royal Commission ran for four years with hundreds of people with disabilities testifying at hearings and thousands more supplying the Commission with written submissions.  The final report titled Our Vision for An Inclusive Australia  made 222 recommendations to improve laws, policies, structures, and practices to ensure a more inclusive and just society. That supports the independence of people with disabilities and their right to live a life free from violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation.  The report covers 12 volumes ranging from:  Voices of People with Disability  About the Royal Commission Nature and Extent of Violence, Abuse, and Exploitation Realising the Human Rights of People with Disability  Governing for Inclusion Inclusive Education, Employment, and Housing Enabling Autonomy an...