Skip to main content

Lights! Camera! Rhyme Time!


Chris Van Ingen and William McInnes on set of Rhyme Time
Photo credit: Charlie Kinross
 For regular readers of this blog it is no secret that acting is my life, and my life is acting. I can now share with you a joyful experience I had shooting a film called Rhyme Time.

Rhyme Time is a thought provoking, sweet comedy about an old school librarian coming to terms with an ever changing modern world. 

Throughout my career I have been lucky enough to be billed alongside great casts such as Rachel Griffiths, Claudia Karvan, and Matt Nable to name a few. 

Rhyme Time continues my blessed luck working with Australian legends such as William McInnes from Blue Heelers, Sea Change, and NCIS Sydney fame. William is joined by Emily Havea best known for her work in Wentworth. The cast was rounded out by an amazing group of adorable and rambunctious children that completely stole the show and made the final act of the film one of the sweetest things I've ever seen. Lastly I had the opportunity to play the role of librarian Gary. 

The film was the brainchild of writer director Dean Bryant and was produced by Elise McCann. 

For me it was awe inspiring watching William McInnes work on set and flat out poignant to see his performance in the finished product. 

From a personal perspective I loved working with Dean, Elise, and the cast because it was one of the few opportunities I have had in my acting career where my disability wasn't mentioned as part of the character. I was just another one of the changes in the modern world. 

Rhyme Time is now live on YouTube and will hopefully be appearing on a US streaming service later in the year. 



Time Capsule


Isn't it funny how a library full of books and an actor on screen create a time capsule.

The world outside might be modern but we are still able to remember what we feel.

The stories in the book and my smiling face might change but to the imagination it's still real.

There is an ever creeping internal rhyme to the passing of time.


In the magical world that is a library, my wheelchair doesn't matter.

All we need to do is listen to the whispers as the characters roam and clatter.

The poets bamboozle us with rhyme after rhyme.

I dream of Shakespearean monologues that mountains of actors try to climb.


I stalk the aisles with hipster irony;

It is through the library that I'm able to be the truthful version of me.

So when the book is shut or the director yells cut,

I say 'but please give me the chance for one more line. 

I'm not asking a crime, I'm just asking for more Rhyme Time.'


Chris Van Ingen | 19 August 2024

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defend Our NDIS

 Defend our NDIS; people have had enough of cuts and changes to the NDIS. The Every Australian Counts campaign has organised a national day of action and events across Australia to take place on 28th of April.  I have been involved in the NDIS from the initial trial phase through to today. People may remember that I was involved in an advertising campaign spruiking the benefits to come once the scheme was up and running.  ‘You’re in charge! Yes we are, aren’t we!’ For awhile this was the truth for participants like myself. I have been very lucky and received 90 percent of what I need from NDIS.  The question is would I have received the same benefits if I was not a skilled disability advocate?  People with disabilities want the original version of the scheme that was promised without having to fight for a reasonable request. It would be a more efficient scheme if the government put the millions of dollars in legal fees into service delivery instead.  According to the Australian Service

Throw Out The Label Maker

Through a lot of self-refection over the last few weeks I’ve come to believe it’s time to throw out the label maker before all the labels cover up our humanity. I use to think labels were cool, signs of what we’re meant to be, until those words turned to weapons pointed at me. Spastic, special disabled even retard these are the labels that at one time or another made my life hell. Cousin, aunty uncle, mother, father; where I come in the family tree the energy I share with the world  is unique and impossible for a label to  define. Chink , abo, wog and rag head; I don’t know why we can’t just see each other as people? Gorgeous, sexy, ugly, disgusting, fat and skinny but I want to know why I’ve never seen a picture of a guy or girl in a wheelchair with the caption Heartthrob. We need to recognise all beauty. Success, failure, dumb or genius, normal to eccentric these days all labels do is turn society into us and them. Christian, Muslim, Buddhist are all labels

United in Action (International Day of People with Disability 2023)

 International Day of People with Disability is here again. It is a day to celebrate the achievements of people with disabilities while at the same time reminding the world that people with disabilities need access to equality.  This year's UN theme is United in Action to rescue and achieve the sustainable development goals for, with, and by people with disability.  Around this time every year I am blown away by the giants in the world who live with a disability and I am using today's post to highlight just a few.  First let me tell you about Natalie Wade, a passionate lawyer who works in the area of disability rights law. Natalie is also the coauthor of Disability Rights in Real Life Handbook  as well as being the inaugural orator for the Disability Leadership Oration . This will air at 5pm AEDT on ABC TV and ABC iview on the 3 December 2023.  The next person I wish to highlight today is Elly Desmarchelier, a brilliant disability advocate, writer, and national spokesperson for