Skip to main content

Circle of Life or Circle of Tech

 I have written extensively about how assistive technology helps me be independent. In blog posts such as More Than a Test Drive and Tony Stark's House (an Assistive Technology Dream). My disability has turned the circle of life into a circle of tech. 

Every few years I have to go through the assistive technology merry go round because all of my equipment seems to break down at the same time. 

I am in the process of applying for a new hoist and sling, shower commode chair, bed, front door opener, and new abductor cushion. 

I also am aware in the not too distant future I will have to attempt to try and get a new wheelchair.

Every time I have to apply for a new piece of equipment my therapists and I have to make the case as to why that particular piece of equipment is 'reasonable and necessary'. 

The frustrating thing about this is, even though it might be clear that I need a piece of equipment, one or two words in the funding form can make a difference on whether the purchase is approved or denied. 

In the forty two years of my life I have experienced two different types of funding models but in each I have always had to justify the expenditure. One time they were even willing to buy a whole new wheelchair even though I didn't need one because I had used up my allocation of modification funding. 

I know I am lucky to live in Australia and the fact that I can get ninety percent of the equipment I need when I need it but I still believe more adjustments need to be made to the flexibility of funding arrangements. 

I know that for the rest of my life, as long as I want to be independent, I will be riding on the assistive merry go round.



Assistive Merry Go Round


My disability means my feet never touch the ground 

Because of wear and tear there is always an assistive merry go round.

The circle of life is a circle of tech;

Having to tick the right boxes is a disability reality check.


Obsolescence can make me feel obsolete, having to get a new wheelchair every few years;

Brings back the same burdensome fears.

If funding forms are wrong by just one word;

It can mean funding is deferred.


To see the truth, read my disability file;

It is full of such denial.

Why does my equipment break down all at the same time?

Just when I have a new peak to climb.


Is it necessary for a new bed or wheelchair?

Answering these questions isn't easy or fair.

The circle of disability life silences the carnival sound;

I can not escape the assistive merry go round.


Chris Van Ingen | 4 March 2025


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...

A Vision for an Inclusive Australia (DRC Final Report)

 The final revised version of the Disability Royal Commission (DRC) into violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation was published on 2 November 2023.  The Royal Commission ran for four years with hundreds of people with disabilities testifying at hearings and thousands more supplying the Commission with written submissions.  The final report titled Our Vision for An Inclusive Australia  made 222 recommendations to improve laws, policies, structures, and practices to ensure a more inclusive and just society. That supports the independence of people with disabilities and their right to live a life free from violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation.  The report covers 12 volumes ranging from:  Voices of People with Disability  About the Royal Commission Nature and Extent of Violence, Abuse, and Exploitation Realising the Human Rights of People with Disability  Governing for Inclusion Inclusive Education, Employment, and Housing Enabling Autonomy an...