Skip to main content

Poetic Disability (International Day of People with Disability 2025)

 Every year on this day the 3rd of December people around the world celebrate the achievements and abilities of those who live with disabilities. 

This is important because people with disabilities deserve to be an equal part of our society. 

For me though International Day of People with Disability always brings up complicated feelings. On one hand I enjoy that people finally recognise my contribution to the community; on the other I want to be recognised without my disability being a factor. 

It is going to sound weird but I have fought so long to be "just Chris" that the focus of International Day of People with Disability makes my day to day struggles feel like they have a spotlight on them. 

I know that there are things in my life I have achieved because of my disability but there are many more things in my life I haven't been able to do for the same reason. 

This year's theme fostering disability inclusive societies for advancing social progress is what people with disabilities have been fighting for since the beginning of time. 

When we are all equal, able bodied and disabled alike, then there will be true social progress.

My ultimate dream is that International Day of People with Disability will be taken off the calendar because we will just be recognised as powerful individuals. 

I have to admit that I would not be a poet without my poetic disability. 


Making Progress

Living with a disability there are so many things you are left to guess;

Will my muscles work today? Will there be any steps? Will I make any progress?

Society fights inclusion ;

While creating a pretty illusion.


People with disabilities will keep moving forward until our rights are near;

We know it's going to take more than one day a year.

People with disabilities across the globe have united nations;

To amplify our voices in all the world's stations.


When my life feels normal I win.

Wanting everything you do is not a sin.

Hearing every yes;

Means people with disabilities are making progress. 


© Chris Van Ingen | 3 December 2025

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...

A Vision for an Inclusive Australia (DRC Final Report)

 The final revised version of the Disability Royal Commission (DRC) into violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation was published on 2 November 2023.  The Royal Commission ran for four years with hundreds of people with disabilities testifying at hearings and thousands more supplying the Commission with written submissions.  The final report titled Our Vision for An Inclusive Australia  made 222 recommendations to improve laws, policies, structures, and practices to ensure a more inclusive and just society. That supports the independence of people with disabilities and their right to live a life free from violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation.  The report covers 12 volumes ranging from:  Voices of People with Disability  About the Royal Commission Nature and Extent of Violence, Abuse, and Exploitation Realising the Human Rights of People with Disability  Governing for Inclusion Inclusive Education, Employment, and Housing Enabling Autonomy an...