Skip to main content

Next Level

 In 2022 my first blog post was called Day One. This year it’s time to go to the next level! 

Over the Christmas break I did some of my most deep thinking and realised that I have only had little drops of success. It’s time for me to commit to a five year surge. 

A five year surge where I’m only focussing on becoming the best artistic version of myself I can be because I have come to the conclusion that everything else I want to achieve can be achieved as a flow on effect of becoming the best poet and actor possible. 

Going to the next level is about using everything I have in a concentrated form. It’s about never giving up and never being finished. 

In a stroke of perfect timing I was given the opportunity to get David Goggins’ book Never Finish. In my opinion Never Finish is even better than his first book You Can’t Hurt Me. It has the ability to put anyone who reads it into the savage mindset. 

I will never be a Navy SEAL or an ultra athlete but I can, and do, use the same mindset towards my acting and poetry. Put it simply, just get after it. 

This is the only way to be all in all the time and reach the next level by using my full power. 



Full Power


My wheelchair might make me look weak because I can’t use the stairs to reach the top of the tower;

But that’s just because you’ve never seen my mind and will at full power.

It’s not about awards, medals, or a cup;

For me it’s all about levelling up. 


You never know what life can bring. 

The only way you can keep the winner’s grin is being willing to go all in.

No matter the pain or the energy drain, 

It’s not applause but the personal power you gain.


Some people think being focussed on a goal 

To the exclusion of all else is crazy

But how dare you be so glib.

Get back to me when you’ve delivered your lines with a broken rib.


I used to think it was my destiny to be a disabled king;

That when I reach the peak the sanctioned angels will sing.

Life is simpler than that. 

There is no more tower when my mind and will are at full power.


Chris Van Ingen | 22 January 2023


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...

Defend Our NDIS

 Defend our NDIS; people have had enough of cuts and changes to the NDIS. The Every Australian Counts campaign has organised a national day of action and events across Australia to take place on 28th of April.  I have been involved in the NDIS from the initial trial phase through to today. People may remember that I was involved in an advertising campaign spruiking the benefits to come once the scheme was up and running.  ‘You’re in charge! Yes we are, aren’t we!’ For awhile this was the truth for participants like myself. I have been very lucky and received 90 percent of what I need from NDIS.  The question is would I have received the same benefits if I was not a skilled disability advocate?  People with disabilities want the original version of the scheme that was promised without having to fight for a reasonable request. It would be a more efficient scheme if the government put the millions of dollars in legal fees into service delivery instead.  Accord...