Skip to main content

Project Love

For a long time I have considered myself an alpha male, however there is one area of my life that I consider to be the most important subject and yet historically it has been considered unmanly to discuss it but here and now I lay down my thoughts about love.
True, deep, and unwavering love between a couple is the most beautiful and powerful thing in our world and yet in the modern age it has become a commodity diluting its power.
True love is not a romantic fairytale but fairytales can be inspired by real love stories.
I used to be extremely selfish but when I found my true love something switched inside me and I wanted to help her use every amazing skill and gift that she has to make her dreams come true not just my own.
Something has gone wrong in the tradition of love, sixty per cent of marriages end up in divorce, I believe because the depth of love is shallow.
When I said my vows I knew that my love was deep and everlasting no matter what changed in our life.
It makes me so angry to see tv show after tv show glorifying infidelity.
In Australia we have a rising rate of domestic violence. That is not love. My true love is that important to me that I would hurt myself before I would hurt her.
So dear readers on this Valentine's Day of love I ask each of you to join in the project of finding the love that grows our lover's souls instead of diminishing them.
By Chris Van Ingen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...

Defend Our NDIS

 Defend our NDIS; people have had enough of cuts and changes to the NDIS. The Every Australian Counts campaign has organised a national day of action and events across Australia to take place on 28th of April.  I have been involved in the NDIS from the initial trial phase through to today. People may remember that I was involved in an advertising campaign spruiking the benefits to come once the scheme was up and running.  ‘You’re in charge! Yes we are, aren’t we!’ For awhile this was the truth for participants like myself. I have been very lucky and received 90 percent of what I need from NDIS.  The question is would I have received the same benefits if I was not a skilled disability advocate?  People with disabilities want the original version of the scheme that was promised without having to fight for a reasonable request. It would be a more efficient scheme if the government put the millions of dollars in legal fees into service delivery instead.  Accord...