Skip to main content

After the dark comes sexual light

For my entire career the most common topic I get asked to speak on is disability and sexuality. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to come across some very interesting information which backs up everything I believe about the topic.

During my research I have recently found two very powerful podcasts; one is called OT After Dark and the other Disability After Dark. Both programs focus on breaking down social views about disability to talk about sex from all angles.

I have always considered sexuality to be the most important aspect to my life that gets overlooked by society. It is only by talking to each other that sexuality can be embraced in a safe and consensual way.

As I have said many times, people with disabilities like sex too and yet not only do people like myself have to fight against our physical restrictions of our disabilities but also negative social stereotypes.

Throughout the centuries sexuality and attitudes towards it have seemed to calcify. Back in times of antiquity many forms of sexuality were embraced. It is time to bring that mindset into the present.

I was lucky enough to meet an occupational therapist by the name of Rose Broadway who specialises in assisting people through their sexual journey. The co-presentation we did together has inspired me to reflect on and reiterate some things I feel are important for anybody’s sexuality.

I consider myself a highly sexual person and yet to a lot of people my wheelchair disqualifies me from the right to express this part of my personality.

This however is not the case. I am married and happily so. Ignorant people sometimes suggest that this is just for companionship which could not be further from the truth.

I want everyone reading this to ask themselves if they went blind tomorrow would their sexual feelings disappear? Once you have answered this question I would encourage you all to move forward with a sexuality free mind and take sexuality out of the dark and bring it into the light.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

A Vision for an Inclusive Australia (DRC Final Report)

 The final revised version of the Disability Royal Commission (DRC) into violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation was published on 2 November 2023.  The Royal Commission ran for four years with hundreds of people with disabilities testifying at hearings and thousands more supplying the Commission with written submissions.  The final report titled Our Vision for An Inclusive Australia  made 222 recommendations to improve laws, policies, structures, and practices to ensure a more inclusive and just society. That supports the independence of people with disabilities and their right to live a life free from violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation.  The report covers 12 volumes ranging from:  Voices of People with Disability  About the Royal Commission Nature and Extent of Violence, Abuse, and Exploitation Realising the Human Rights of People with Disability  Governing for Inclusion Inclusive Education, Employment, and Housing Enabling Autonomy an...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...