Skip to main content

The Smoke Choke

I was going to start the New Year setting out my 2020 vision but this plan has been blinded by the smoke.

It frustrates me that the government had a report predicting an event like this year's fire season down to the very year and yet they are still trying to convince the public that this was an unforeseeable event.

This report clearly states that the increasing effects of climate change correlate to the extended fire seasons and yet successive governments adamantly oppose the idea that worsening bushfires are due to the growing climate emergency.

When are governments going to realise that letting our environment burn also leads to them having to burn their precious money?



The Smoke Choke

I go for a walk and cannot see in front of me. 
Is it fog? Or is it smog that obscures the oncoming car?
I never thought that bushfire smoke could travel so far.
I had a clear 2020 vision but with all this smoke making my eyes sting,
I cannot see a thing. 

I try not to look outside with fear 
But will the politicians ever listen to the lessons burning their ear?
The bush is our precious land.
Thank God for the fireman making a stand. 

The Prime Minister said our climate catastrophe is not real
With every second word he spoke 
But now his words have turned into smoke to make him choke. 
When I’m outside at the moment I cannot breathe
Maybe that will make the climate sceptics believe. 

Every martial art invents it’s own choke.
Now maybe nature is fighting back
With the Smoke Choke. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...

Defend Our NDIS

 Defend our NDIS; people have had enough of cuts and changes to the NDIS. The Every Australian Counts campaign has organised a national day of action and events across Australia to take place on 28th of April.  I have been involved in the NDIS from the initial trial phase through to today. People may remember that I was involved in an advertising campaign spruiking the benefits to come once the scheme was up and running.  ‘You’re in charge! Yes we are, aren’t we!’ For awhile this was the truth for participants like myself. I have been very lucky and received 90 percent of what I need from NDIS.  The question is would I have received the same benefits if I was not a skilled disability advocate?  People with disabilities want the original version of the scheme that was promised without having to fight for a reasonable request. It would be a more efficient scheme if the government put the millions of dollars in legal fees into service delivery instead.  Accord...