Skip to main content

Poetry in Pain

I have a compulsion in my life that is I need to write poetry. People often ask me how do I stay so positive with the crap that goes on in my life? The answer; I turn it into poetry.

When people read my poetry they hear the darkness of my soul but what they don't realise is that each word on the page punches some light even if it's the tiniest hole.

There are many definitions of poetry but one I like best is language that shows your soul truth. With that in mind I encourage everyone to put their soul truth down on the page for UNESCO's World Poetry Day.



Poetry in Pain

Pain show me your poetry.
Poetry show me the purpose of my disability.
There is poetry somewhere in my tornado mind.
If I just keep calm, the truth I will find.

Wheelchair whisper poetic words or does my disability mean
I will be forever taunted by the freedom of the birds. 
Sometime my body is as rigid as plastic
It is sarcastically fantastic when my muscles go spastic.

When I feel pain it grows a new word
From the tiniest poetic brain.
It is true dear poetry, that you have sent me
Sane and insane.

Pain is not something we can restrain.
It is not something that everyone even likes.
It is something I have tried to run away from on countless BMX bikes. 
But I would not be me if not for pain's agonising poetry.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...

Defend Our NDIS

 Defend our NDIS; people have had enough of cuts and changes to the NDIS. The Every Australian Counts campaign has organised a national day of action and events across Australia to take place on 28th of April.  I have been involved in the NDIS from the initial trial phase through to today. People may remember that I was involved in an advertising campaign spruiking the benefits to come once the scheme was up and running.  ‘You’re in charge! Yes we are, aren’t we!’ For awhile this was the truth for participants like myself. I have been very lucky and received 90 percent of what I need from NDIS.  The question is would I have received the same benefits if I was not a skilled disability advocate?  People with disabilities want the original version of the scheme that was promised without having to fight for a reasonable request. It would be a more efficient scheme if the government put the millions of dollars in legal fees into service delivery instead.  Accord...