Skip to main content

R U OK? Day (My Snakes and Ladders Mind)

This year's R U OK? Day is more important than ever before. 

Mental health is something that should be talked about on a regular basis and with current statistics indicating that anxiety has increased up to 40 percent due to COVID-19. 

Having someone check in is a simple way for us all to help each other. 

On a personal note, I know that I have stopped a panic attack a day during the COVID-19 crisis thanks to the support of my family. 

It is time we get rid of the stigma attached to mental health. 

People don’t look at me funny when I take pain killers for my pain. So in my opinion the same curtesy should be extended to people seeking treatment for mental health conditions. 

This R U OK? Day take the time to ask just one person if they are okay because you never know if you might be the person who helps them climb out of their snakes and ladders mind. 



My Snakes and Ladders Mind


How fast my thoughts make my head run until I think my brain might start to unwind.

This is the beginning of my snakes and ladders mind. 

Life is more than a childish game when I am strong it is easier to fight off the feeling of being insane. 

Every time I roll the die I wonder if I’ll have the strength to give it a try. 


When things are going good it is easy to find the ladder

 Then I am bitten by the snake and the slide back down to where things don’t matter. 

Each day I picture myself climbing the ladder of success and hope I am not crippled or overly anxious

The never ending round of snakes and ladders continues until you win or the mind shatters. 


This game represents virtue and vice; our mental health should be fought for at any price. 

The serpent that is depression likes to find a home at the bottom of a bottle of alcohol 

So we can slide even deeper into anxiety's dark hole. 

Every time a friend asks 'are you okay?’ I know that this not a game I have to play and can temporarily hit rewind on my snakes and ladders mind. 


Chris van Ingen | 10 September 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...

A Vision for an Inclusive Australia (DRC Final Report)

 The final revised version of the Disability Royal Commission (DRC) into violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation was published on 2 November 2023.  The Royal Commission ran for four years with hundreds of people with disabilities testifying at hearings and thousands more supplying the Commission with written submissions.  The final report titled Our Vision for An Inclusive Australia  made 222 recommendations to improve laws, policies, structures, and practices to ensure a more inclusive and just society. That supports the independence of people with disabilities and their right to live a life free from violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation.  The report covers 12 volumes ranging from:  Voices of People with Disability  About the Royal Commission Nature and Extent of Violence, Abuse, and Exploitation Realising the Human Rights of People with Disability  Governing for Inclusion Inclusive Education, Employment, and Housing Enabling Autonomy an...