Skip to main content

Life is Tetris

 With each day that passes, I come to terms with the fact the life is a game of Tetris and my disability does not fit. 

Fourteen years ago I began a concerted campaign to build my inner self so no matter how disabled my outside body may be I will never be broken.

Using lessons learnt from the Catholic Bible, Eckhart Tolle, Deepak Chopra, Jack Kornfield, and the 14th Dalai Lama I laid the foundation for a calm yet strong approach to life. 

I have now added to this bedrock the wisdom and lessons I have gained from the writings of Ryan Holiday. In particular from his books: The Obstacle is the Way, Ego is the Enemy, Lives of the Stoics, Stillness is the Key, and the brand new masterpiece Courage is Calling. 

Most importantly from all my research I now know how to live my life in an optimal way. 

It is important to breathe, to detach from outcomes, take a universal perspective, and do not judge yourself or others. 

I also believe it is more important than ever to deal with what is in front of you; just do the work. 

My new system has been stress tested quite a lot thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic and recent interactions with medical professionals. 

For example when I was being transported via ambulance to a hospital in my local area, the ambulance was told the hospital could not accept me because "they're not sure if they have a doctor who would be willing to take responsibility for such a severe case of cerebral palsy!". At which point the ambulance was forced to turn around to take me to the already full public hospital. 

I have experienced discrimination in subtle ways before but this was the first time within my memory specifically because of my cerebral palsy. 

As things about my cerebral palsy become increasingly difficult and my support systems change, I have to admit for the first time my disability is getting old. 

It is true that life is Tetris and with my philosophical and spiritual armour in place I know even if I don't fit I can always write a poem. 



Life is Tetris


In the Tetris of life I don’t fit.
My wheelchair is an inconvenient shape; 
Disability is a truth the world wants to escape.
You ask me to quit. 
No matter which way they turn me.
I don’t fit.


My physical disability forces me to watch the waiting time.
I ask for help and wait without reason or rhyme
Clock ticks away the hour.
I’m physically retarded but filled with inner power.


As a boy I cried each time my disability was denied.
When I called, why did the doctor hide?
I no longer dress to impress.
I calmly stay in the waiting time; 
I don’t fit in this game of Tetris. 


Chris Van Ingen | 15 October 2021



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...

Defend Our NDIS

 Defend our NDIS; people have had enough of cuts and changes to the NDIS. The Every Australian Counts campaign has organised a national day of action and events across Australia to take place on 28th of April.  I have been involved in the NDIS from the initial trial phase through to today. People may remember that I was involved in an advertising campaign spruiking the benefits to come once the scheme was up and running.  ‘You’re in charge! Yes we are, aren’t we!’ For awhile this was the truth for participants like myself. I have been very lucky and received 90 percent of what I need from NDIS.  The question is would I have received the same benefits if I was not a skilled disability advocate?  People with disabilities want the original version of the scheme that was promised without having to fight for a reasonable request. It would be a more efficient scheme if the government put the millions of dollars in legal fees into service delivery instead.  Accord...