Skip to main content

When Good Tech Goes Bad (The best and worst of assistive technology)

 It cannot be denied that my forty years on this planet wouldn't be the same without some important assistive technology. I am independent because of an electric wheelchair, a free standing hoist, and a very special automatic front door just to name a few of my assistive devices. Advances in technology have allowed me to have lighter, more portable ramps for easier access; voice activated software from my laptop to smartphone has enabled faster and simpler communication. My life is living proof of the power assistive technology has to a person with a disability but what happens when good tech goes bad?

My wheelchair is my only access to mobility and in the past when something went wrong it was quite often a simple mechanical fix that my dad could perform. Now my chair runs on a computer software program which does allow for increased capability of the chair but when it breaks down there is no simple fix. Error warnings with convoluted number systems will pop up and instantly immobilise a chair which has led to many anxiety filled moments in the centre of town. 

I have even missed work because I was waiting for a technician to come out and plug their device into my wheelchair to fix the problem. There has been times I have been sitting watching a movie and the wheelchair will start cycling through speed profiles without me even touching a button and then there are the numerous times I have been halfway home from the shops, gone over a bump, and been abruptly halted when the breaks slams on for no reason. It is a fact that I am always grateful for the mobility that my wheelchair gives me but I believe that many pieces of assistive technology would be more useful if more time was given to the trial period especially when it comes to something as important a wheelchair. Two one and a half hour practice session before you purchase a chair is not enough to highlight any potential problems. 

I would not be able to get of bed, into my chair, and back again without my hoist but let me tell you there is not much scarier than the hoist stopping while you are literally hanging in mid air. The acrobatics my carers and I have had to perform just to get me safely on the bed when this happens has made me cry and laugh. 

This blog post would not be complete without talking about the terror of the blackout! Which is always punctuated with the quiet hiss of my air mattress deflating followed by my crazy prayers to the power gods that it will come back on before my legs and butt start to hurt. 

Overall assistive technology empowers my life and is not a toy but I will always break into a sweat when good tech goes bad.



Not a Toy


Do I control assistive technology or does it control me?

When I am driving my wheelchair down a nice smooth footpath, 

I am grateful and glad but then I freak out when all of a sudden

The good tech goes bad.


When the error sign flashes on the screen,

Sometimes I just want to throw it in the ditch 

Because I can't power through a software glitch.


I love that I can open my front door with a push of a button 

But if the motor strips a gear I am trapped inside unless someone else is near.


Assistive technology activates my voice until I am left dangling in the hoist.

I loved fast cars ever since I was a little boy 

But now technology gives me life and it's not a toy. 


Chris Van Ingen | 11 March 2022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defend Our NDIS

 Defend our NDIS; people have had enough of cuts and changes to the NDIS. The Every Australian Counts campaign has organised a national day of action and events across Australia to take place on 28th of April.  I have been involved in the NDIS from the initial trial phase through to today. People may remember that I was involved in an advertising campaign spruiking the benefits to come once the scheme was up and running.  ‘You’re in charge! Yes we are, aren’t we!’ For awhile this was the truth for participants like myself. I have been very lucky and received 90 percent of what I need from NDIS.  The question is would I have received the same benefits if I was not a skilled disability advocate?  People with disabilities want the original version of the scheme that was promised without having to fight for a reasonable request. It would be a more efficient scheme if the government put the millions of dollars in legal fees into service delivery instead.  According to the Australian Service

A Vision for an Inclusive Australia (DRC Final Report)

 The final revised version of the Disability Royal Commission (DRC) into violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation was published on 2 November 2023.  The Royal Commission ran for four years with hundreds of people with disabilities testifying at hearings and thousands more supplying the Commission with written submissions.  The final report titled Our Vision for An Inclusive Australia  made 222 recommendations to improve laws, policies, structures, and practices to ensure a more inclusive and just society. That supports the independence of people with disabilities and their right to live a life free from violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation.  The report covers 12 volumes ranging from:  Voices of People with Disability  About the Royal Commission Nature and Extent of Violence, Abuse, and Exploitation Realising the Human Rights of People with Disability  Governing for Inclusion Inclusive Education, Employment, and Housing Enabling Autonomy and Access Criminal Justice and People wi

United in Action (International Day of People with Disability 2023)

 International Day of People with Disability is here again. It is a day to celebrate the achievements of people with disabilities while at the same time reminding the world that people with disabilities need access to equality.  This year's UN theme is United in Action to rescue and achieve the sustainable development goals for, with, and by people with disability.  Around this time every year I am blown away by the giants in the world who live with a disability and I am using today's post to highlight just a few.  First let me tell you about Natalie Wade, a passionate lawyer who works in the area of disability rights law. Natalie is also the coauthor of Disability Rights in Real Life Handbook  as well as being the inaugural orator for the Disability Leadership Oration . This will air at 5pm AEDT on ABC TV and ABC iview on the 3 December 2023.  The next person I wish to highlight today is Elly Desmarchelier, a brilliant disability advocate, writer, and national spokesperson for