Skip to main content

Disability Sector Advocacy and Beyond

 My interaction with the disability sector is a strange intertwining of participant and worker. 

For nearly forty years I have received disability services from agencies and support workers in the disability sector. My work as an advocate in the disability sector began in 2004. Which also started the strange feeling of being outside the service and yet working inside the sector. 

To be a good worker in the disability sector you need to be able to take an holistic view of disability and the individuals that live with them. The disability sector is supposed to support people with disabilities to live independent lives. Rights and choice are ideally imbedded into every policy, procedure, and outcome delivered by agencies and workers for people with disabilities. I know the disability sector tries hard to do this but it is important to take the words from the documents and transform them into action in the real world. An example of this is the NDIS; the original design of the scheme was to cut down on red tape and empower people with disabilities, instead red tape has been increased and advocacy funding has been cut or excluded entirely. 

Every level of the disability sector should consider themselves advocates for people with disability. Advocacy starts in the morning when my staff get me ready for work and should continue all the way to the prime minister of Australia. 

As an advocate you are not speaking up for the way you think a person with disability should live but the way they want their life to go. I hope to see a world where there are no sectors. There is just life. I look forward to this future for the disability sector advocacy and beyond.


Disability Sector


Calling all departments.

Finance sector report. 

Government sector report.

Able sector report. 

Disability sector report.


Can somebody tell me who belongs where before all these labels get too hard to sort?

The government sector is a genuine helper and protector;

But what happens when my disability doesn't fit 

The image they have on their PowerPoint projector?


Disability is not easy to pinpoint on a map;

At the intersection of inclusion and disability there is too big a gap.

What happens when the cost benefit financially sees my disability as a liability?

My mind tries to sneak across the sector to sit at the able table.


The disability sector needs a disabled director 

Because we know the rights and choice belong to us all

And we shouldn't have to go sector by sector in a crawl.

Inclusion and choice should not be a shadowy spectre;

They are the light of the disability sector.


Chris Van Ingen | 13/06/2022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...

Defend Our NDIS

 Defend our NDIS; people have had enough of cuts and changes to the NDIS. The Every Australian Counts campaign has organised a national day of action and events across Australia to take place on 28th of April.  I have been involved in the NDIS from the initial trial phase through to today. People may remember that I was involved in an advertising campaign spruiking the benefits to come once the scheme was up and running.  ‘You’re in charge! Yes we are, aren’t we!’ For awhile this was the truth for participants like myself. I have been very lucky and received 90 percent of what I need from NDIS.  The question is would I have received the same benefits if I was not a skilled disability advocate?  People with disabilities want the original version of the scheme that was promised without having to fight for a reasonable request. It would be a more efficient scheme if the government put the millions of dollars in legal fees into service delivery instead.  Accord...