Skip to main content

Heaven, Earth, and the Alchemist

 Every Lent and Easter period I rededicate and affirm my Catholic faith. 

This year during my period of reflection a strange amalgamation occurred which I hope will not seem as blasphemous if I can explain it properly. 

Some truths were revealed to me through the simplicity of the Lord's Prayer and Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist. 

I, through baptism and profession of the Creed, am a follower of Christ. 

I know it is my mission to become like Christ, to be granted admission into heaven. Part of my role as a Catholic is to create a better world on Earth until I meet God in Heaven. 

This Lent and Easter period I have had the thought that the world would be a better place if everyone followed the Lord's Prayer.

“Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven.”

There was a time in world history where eighty to ninety percent of the population professed to be followers of Christ. Now that number is at thirty percent and dropping in the Western world. 

I ask you is it a coincidence that in that time treatment for anxiety and depression has increased? 

To me it is no coincidence that without the belief in God and the comfort and peace that used to provide would lead to an increase in anxiety and depression.

I believe it is human nature to do what is good and in line with God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. 

For half my life I have called myself a devout Catholic but after listening to the Catholic Saints podcast, in particular the episode about St Perpetua and St Felicity, I know I have a long way to go in my devotion to Christ and I pray, should it ever be God's will, that I have the same amazing courage of those two women. 

While going through my Lenten journey I also reread Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist and I couldn’t help noticing the parallels between faith in God and the soul of the world and a pilgrim's journey with a person's personal legend. 

God has given each one of us unique gifts to fulfil a purpose that only He is aware of. 

Do not be afraid to follow what God has written on your heart. 



Heaven and the Alchemist


Do not be fooled by the goal of the alchemist;

Heaven cannot be reached by checking off God's list.

Let love open up an angry fist.

The Holy Spirit is as gentle as a surrounding mist.


I profess to be a follower of Christ but the pain my disability gives me 

Doesn't come close to what He sacrificed.

My life I give to God so it is no longer mine to barter.

As I listen to the stories of the saints, I pray I would have the courage of a martyr. 


Easter brings new joy which is not something to be thrown away like an abandoned toy.

Lent is a time that God reinvites us into His tent.

Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done.

If we stick to this, the world can live as one.


Chris Van Ingen | 12 April 2023



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defend Our NDIS

 Defend our NDIS; people have had enough of cuts and changes to the NDIS. The Every Australian Counts campaign has organised a national day of action and events across Australia to take place on 28th of April.  I have been involved in the NDIS from the initial trial phase through to today. People may remember that I was involved in an advertising campaign spruiking the benefits to come once the scheme was up and running.  ‘You’re in charge! Yes we are, aren’t we!’ For awhile this was the truth for participants like myself. I have been very lucky and received 90 percent of what I need from NDIS.  The question is would I have received the same benefits if I was not a skilled disability advocate?  People with disabilities want the original version of the scheme that was promised without having to fight for a reasonable request. It would be a more efficient scheme if the government put the millions of dollars in legal fees into service delivery instead.  According to the Australian Service

A Vision for an Inclusive Australia (DRC Final Report)

 The final revised version of the Disability Royal Commission (DRC) into violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation was published on 2 November 2023.  The Royal Commission ran for four years with hundreds of people with disabilities testifying at hearings and thousands more supplying the Commission with written submissions.  The final report titled Our Vision for An Inclusive Australia  made 222 recommendations to improve laws, policies, structures, and practices to ensure a more inclusive and just society. That supports the independence of people with disabilities and their right to live a life free from violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation.  The report covers 12 volumes ranging from:  Voices of People with Disability  About the Royal Commission Nature and Extent of Violence, Abuse, and Exploitation Realising the Human Rights of People with Disability  Governing for Inclusion Inclusive Education, Employment, and Housing Enabling Autonomy and Access Criminal Justice and People wi

United in Action (International Day of People with Disability 2023)

 International Day of People with Disability is here again. It is a day to celebrate the achievements of people with disabilities while at the same time reminding the world that people with disabilities need access to equality.  This year's UN theme is United in Action to rescue and achieve the sustainable development goals for, with, and by people with disability.  Around this time every year I am blown away by the giants in the world who live with a disability and I am using today's post to highlight just a few.  First let me tell you about Natalie Wade, a passionate lawyer who works in the area of disability rights law. Natalie is also the coauthor of Disability Rights in Real Life Handbook  as well as being the inaugural orator for the Disability Leadership Oration . This will air at 5pm AEDT on ABC TV and ABC iview on the 3 December 2023.  The next person I wish to highlight today is Elly Desmarchelier, a brilliant disability advocate, writer, and national spokesperson for