Skip to main content

International Day of People with Disabilities (Caring Obituary)

International Day of People with Disabilities is a day to reflect on the lives of those living with disabilities.

Like everyone else in the community there are people with disabilities who are successful athletes, artists, business owners, and university professors. We also have our share of trials.

As a person with a disability I do not see myself as better or worse than anyone else in the community.

While the International Day of People with Disabilities is a great opportunity to highlight the wonderful things that people with disabilities are capable of, I also see it as an opportunity to highlight areas where there is much work to be done towards equality for all people.

In September this year I was deeply affected by Greens Senator Jordan Steele-John's speech in the Senate where he read out a list of those people with disabilities who have died in care. Since that day I have not been able to stop thinking that we need to do more. I hope the following poem that I have penned will help people use this International Day of People with Disability to reflect on our triumphs but also the need to dig deep and make things better.


Caring Obituary

Day after day people with disabilities cannot live without carers but when do we notice the death obituary?
Every year we lay to rest people with disabilities but when will we recognise Care is in an unmarked grave next to them in the cemetery? 
Why does it take a senator in a wheelchair to read out an honour roll for us to see the people with disabilities who should be there?
How many have to grieve before the politicians will believe?

At four, I knew my first person in a wheelchair who died; when I got home I began to cry and said "Mummy, will I?"
When I was fourteen, I knew a girl who was only thirteen when she began to choke and when carers brought her breakfast in the morning she never awoke. 
At twenty-six I had been to fifty funeral masses when I stopped to count. 
Now at thirty-six the number does still mount. 

Many people with disabilities can only tell us what they want to say when they cry but why do we only hear it after they die? 
It is everyone's duty to care so people with disabilities do not place blame, it is our burden to share.
It is time to focus less on wealth and pay more attention to people with disabilities' health. 
So now let's take notice and do not whisper about death, no more time to be contrary because we cannot afford to be reading Care's obituary.

International Day of People with Disability - CVI 2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences. For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences. I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime. Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle. Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience. For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way. Lock Box A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks.  I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything...

A Vision for an Inclusive Australia (DRC Final Report)

 The final revised version of the Disability Royal Commission (DRC) into violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation was published on 2 November 2023.  The Royal Commission ran for four years with hundreds of people with disabilities testifying at hearings and thousands more supplying the Commission with written submissions.  The final report titled Our Vision for An Inclusive Australia  made 222 recommendations to improve laws, policies, structures, and practices to ensure a more inclusive and just society. That supports the independence of people with disabilities and their right to live a life free from violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation.  The report covers 12 volumes ranging from:  Voices of People with Disability  About the Royal Commission Nature and Extent of Violence, Abuse, and Exploitation Realising the Human Rights of People with Disability  Governing for Inclusion Inclusive Education, Employment, and Housing Enabling Autonomy an...

Wisdom Takes Work

 The final book in Ryan Holiday's Stoic Virtues series came out this year. The book Wisdom Takes Work  is a powerful and thought provoking addition to his phenomenal works on Stoicism.  The book's central theme is that wisdom ties together all the other virtues. There is no courage, discipline, or justice without wisdom.  Holiday breaks down the concept of wisdom into five key attributes: knowledge, education, self reflection, truth, and peace.  Knowledge and education covers both traditional schooling and learning as well as self education, the 'school of life' so to speak.  As part of the journey to becoming a wise man, or woman, there must be self reflection so that don't just memorise lessons but internalise and apply them.  Doing this self reflection leads you to look beneath the surface of life leading you to truth and peace.  If you haven't already, read Ryan Holiday's Virtues series:  Courage is Calling , Discipline is Destiny , Righ...