Skip to main content

Together Project

This blog post is the third in the series inspired by my reflections on the abuse and neglect suffered by people with disabilities. The Together Project is an art collaboration designed to create a safe place for people to discuss their experiences.

For me watching people's creations has made me reflect on my own life experiences.

I know statistically between 85 to 90 % of people with disabilities may experience some form of abuse in their lifetime.

Until recently I would have said that I do not fit into that category but I am speaking up in this blog to demonstrate that abuse can be severe or subtle.

Please read my poem 'Lock Box' to discover my true experience.

For anyone that is interested in getting involved the exhibition will have a space at the 'Having A Say' Conference 2019 because together we can find a way.


Lock Box

A moment in fear all I hear is the ticking of the clocks. 
I have an unhealthy obsession with security; I hide everything in the Lock Box. 
Someone asked me have I ever been abused and I said don't be ridiculous, I am too strong. 
When I look back on it however, I think I might have been wrong. 

I feel safe and protected with my family. But when I venture out, I am surrounded by insecurity. 
I remember at the so called "special school" where I was intimidated and made to feel like a fool. 
Taking my wheelchair out of gear is an act of false imprisonment. 
How many other rules have been bent?

I have done you no harm, then why have your fingers left bruises on my arm?
Punishing me is against the law but I can't say anything until the perpetrator walks out the door.
I feel no respite when I am alone at night. If I say something is wrong, will you make me wait long?
I have many surgical scars but the mental abuse is what leaves the deepest scars. 

Join us together in the Together Project and help me banish my fears and those ticking clocks
So there's no more need for my Lock Box. 

Chris Van Ingen 18/12/18



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

United in Action (International Day of People with Disability 2023)

 International Day of People with Disability is here again. It is a day to celebrate the achievements of people with disabilities while at the same time reminding the world that people with disabilities need access to equality.  This year's UN theme is United in Action to rescue and achieve the sustainable development goals for, with, and by people with disability.  Around this time every year I am blown away by the giants in the world who live with a disability and I am using today's post to highlight just a few.  First let me tell you about Natalie Wade, a passionate lawyer who works in the area of disability rights law. Natalie is also the coauthor of Disability Rights in Real Life Handbook  as well as being the inaugural orator for the Disability Leadership Oration . This will air at 5pm AEDT on ABC TV and ABC iview on the 3 December 2023.  The next person I wish to highlight today is Elly Desmarchelier, a brilliant disability advocate, writer, and national spokesperson for

Here to Hear (RU OK Day 2023)

 When it comes to mental health many people still struggle to have the conversations. RU OK Day 2023 gives everyone the perfect opportunity to let someone know that you are here to hear.  RU OK Day gives everyone the opportunity to ask if you’re okay, listen to the answer, encourage someone struggling with mental health to take action, and to check in.  In my personal mental health journey people have sometimes been reluctant to ask if I was okay because they saw my disability as an obvious sign that I’m not okay. Even medical professionals dismiss my mental health and depression for far too long because ‘of course my cerebral palsy must make me depressed’.  It is important when working in the disability space to treat mental health and physical disability separately.  Anecdotal evidence does suggest that 1 in 2 people with a physical disability will experience mental health struggles in their lifetime but it is important to not make an assumption and never be afraid to ask are you oka

Heaven, Earth, and the Alchemist

 Every Lent and Easter period I rededicate and affirm my Catholic faith.  This year during my period of reflection a strange amalgamation occurred which I hope will not seem as blasphemous if I can explain it properly.  Some truths were revealed to me through the simplicity of the Lord's Prayer and Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist.   I, through baptism and profession of the Creed, am a follower of Christ.  I know it is my mission to become like Christ, to be granted admission into heaven. Part of my role as a Catholic is to create a better world on Earth until I meet God in Heaven.  This Lent and Easter period I have had the thought that the world would be a better place if everyone followed the Lord's Prayer. “Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven.” There was a time in world history where eighty to ninety percent of the population professed to be followers of Christ. Now that number is at thirty percent and dropping in the Western world.  I ask you is