Skip to main content

We Made Complaints Sexy

When I started working with the Disability Services Commission (DSC) Capacity Building Team we had the daunting task of making complaints sexy and I believe we succeeded.

I was very proud to be a part of such a unique organisation because Victoria was the first state in Australia to have a separate disability complaints body. 

This allowed people with disability's voice to be separated from the crowd and amplified so we could be heard out loud. 

The DSC and I were able to make people with disabilities and disability service providers see that complaints were a positive thing and not a negative. 

It was incredibly gratifying to see the amount of complaints going up each year. I know that sounds weird to say but to me it meant people with disabilities were speaking up more. 

The Disability Service Commission didn't just use pretty words, the culture within the office was also inclusive as a matter of fact for the first time in my life I felt truly equal with all my DSC colleagues. 

With the NDIS transferring a lot of responsibility for disability to the Commonwealth I only hope that the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission will build on DSC's work and take it as best practice. 

The SAS soldiers see themselves as force multipliers and I encourage the DSC staff to see themselves as communication and complaints multipliers when they move onto new roles within the community. They can take what they know from their time at DSC and spread it out into the community stealthily empowering people with disabilities as they go.

It is always important to remember the lesson that they have taught me, "You are not a pain, you can complain".



You Are Not A Pain, Complain!


I have spent years arguing with my brain trying to convince myself I am not a pain;

Yes I have a disability but when I am not happy I still have the right to complain.

The person that rudely sends the chicken back to the kitchen;

Is the same one who tells me "You have enough to worry about with your disability, so quit your bitchin'".


"There's only one small complaint" is a frequently heard quip because they're only focused on the iceberg's tip.

Life is full of complexity and it is hard to make complaints sexy.

Yet in truth it is about speaking up before we overflow the cup.

It is about being curious not furious.


Before you go too far down the negativity ride, it's time to flip complaints to the positive side.

Some people approach complaints like they're trying to keep balance on top of a church steeple

But don't be scared because calm people calm people.

Now I know I am not a pain if I complain.


Chris Van Ingen | 19 October 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defend Our NDIS

 Defend our NDIS; people have had enough of cuts and changes to the NDIS. The Every Australian Counts campaign has organised a national day of action and events across Australia to take place on 28th of April.  I have been involved in the NDIS from the initial trial phase through to today. People may remember that I was involved in an advertising campaign spruiking the benefits to come once the scheme was up and running.  ‘You’re in charge! Yes we are, aren’t we!’ For awhile this was the truth for participants like myself. I have been very lucky and received 90 percent of what I need from NDIS.  The question is would I have received the same benefits if I was not a skilled disability advocate?  People with disabilities want the original version of the scheme that was promised without having to fight for a reasonable request. It would be a more efficient scheme if the government put the millions of dollars in legal fees into service delivery instead.  According to the Australian Service

A Vision for an Inclusive Australia (DRC Final Report)

 The final revised version of the Disability Royal Commission (DRC) into violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation was published on 2 November 2023.  The Royal Commission ran for four years with hundreds of people with disabilities testifying at hearings and thousands more supplying the Commission with written submissions.  The final report titled Our Vision for An Inclusive Australia  made 222 recommendations to improve laws, policies, structures, and practices to ensure a more inclusive and just society. That supports the independence of people with disabilities and their right to live a life free from violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation.  The report covers 12 volumes ranging from:  Voices of People with Disability  About the Royal Commission Nature and Extent of Violence, Abuse, and Exploitation Realising the Human Rights of People with Disability  Governing for Inclusion Inclusive Education, Employment, and Housing Enabling Autonomy and Access Criminal Justice and People wi

United in Action (International Day of People with Disability 2023)

 International Day of People with Disability is here again. It is a day to celebrate the achievements of people with disabilities while at the same time reminding the world that people with disabilities need access to equality.  This year's UN theme is United in Action to rescue and achieve the sustainable development goals for, with, and by people with disability.  Around this time every year I am blown away by the giants in the world who live with a disability and I am using today's post to highlight just a few.  First let me tell you about Natalie Wade, a passionate lawyer who works in the area of disability rights law. Natalie is also the coauthor of Disability Rights in Real Life Handbook  as well as being the inaugural orator for the Disability Leadership Oration . This will air at 5pm AEDT on ABC TV and ABC iview on the 3 December 2023.  The next person I wish to highlight today is Elly Desmarchelier, a brilliant disability advocate, writer, and national spokesperson for